What is a USI?
- If you’re studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you will be required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results (transcript) that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your USI account in 2016.
When applying for a job or enrolling in further study, you will often need to provide your training records and results (transcript). One of the main benefits of the USI is the ability to provide students with easy access to their training records and results (transcript) throughout their life.
You can access your USI account online from your computer, tablet or smart phone anytime.
Fact sheets, the first release of fact sheets are now available to download for Students
- Student Information for the USI (PDF 156KB) | HTML plain text version
This fact sheet has been designed for students and gives an outline of the USI and how students can create their own USIs.
How to get a USI
- It’s free and easy to create your own USI and will only take a few minutes of your time. Or if you like you can learn more about the steps to create a USI.
While most students will create their own USI, some training organisations will also be able to create your USI for you. Your training organisation might do this as part of your enrolment process when you begin studying. Where this service is provided your training organisation will let you know.
What are the benefits of the USI?
- A key benefit of your Unique Student Identifier (USI) is that it will enable the consolidation of information on nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) completed by you after 1 January 2015 onwards. The information is based on the data about your training reported by your training organisations to the National VET Provider Collection managed by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER).
Training organisations are required to submit this information to the NCVER at least once a year. From 2016, following the annual data collection, you will be able to access your USI account to view the information on your training online or to generate authenticated or extract printed transcripts, which you can provide to prospective employers. The information you will be able to view from that time will relate only to the training you completed after 1 January 2015 and reported to the NCVER by your training organisations.
When will my records and results appear in my USI account?
- You may find that information about the training you completed is not included in your USI account immediately after completion or issuance of the qualification by your training organisation. In most cases this will be because your training organisation has not yet reported the information to the NCVER. Your training organisation will be able to tell you when they will provide their next report to the NCVER.
Are there any records and results that won’t appear in my USI account?
- Please note that some training organisations are exempted from reporting VET information to the NCVER. If your training organisation has been exempted from reporting to the NCVER, the training organisation must inform you of this and that information about your VET you undertake with that training organisation will not be included in your USI account.
Will my USI account have training completed before the 1 January 2015?
- You should also note that it will not be possible for your USI account to include any information about the training you undertook before 1 January 2015 as such information is retrospective to the commencement of the scheme and the system is not designed to back-capture training completed before 2015.
Using your USI?
- From 1 January 2015 you will need to give your USI to your training organisation when you enrol to study.
Students who need a USI include:
- Students who are enrolling in nationally recognised training for the first time
- School students completing nationally recognised training
- Students continuing with nationally recognised training
A student who is continuing study is a student who has already started their course in a previous year (and not yet completed it) and will continue studying after 1 January 2015.
Once you create your USI you will be able to:
- Give your USI to each training organisation you study with
- View and update your details in your USI account
- View and download your training records and results (transcript) from early 2016 onwards
- Manage who can view your transcript
Please note that your USI account will not have your records and results (transcript) for the first year and will available in 2016